Sunday, 8 December 2013

The Croods Review (with added anxiety)

We love a good sofa and film afternoon here at the Disgrace HQ.  We had nothing planned as a family for this weekend and, frankly, I'm fit for nothing as I've finally surrendered and gone back on the Sertraline after an epic battle with anxiety over the last month or so.  I've spent the last week running the gauntlet of side effects as the meds kick in again, including a disconcerting amount of 'room spin', so sitting under a blanket in front of the telly for a couple of hours suited me just fine.

Thanks goodness, then, for Twentieth Century Fox, who sent us a copy of  DreamWorks 'The Croods' to watch and review ready for its release on 9th December.  We grabbed our blankets and a big packet of strawberry bootlaces and settled in for the afternoon.


The story centres around the Croods - the last remaining cavemen, who just happen to be a dysfunctional family with an overbearing father, a rebellious teen daughter, a pesky mother in law and a savage baby.  Eep, the daughter, is desperate to escape the boredom of the cave and to explore, but her father, Grug, has taught them to survive by being fearful of anything new or different and won't allow it:  "Fear keeps us alive. Stop looking for new things. New things are bad. Curiosity kills. (Cue Mr Disgrace sneaking a meaningful look at me.  This could be my current catchphrase).  Desperate to escape the monotony, Eep sneaks out of the cave one night and meets Guy, an adventurous loner with big ideas.  Her father is furious, but at that point, the world as they know it ends, their cave is destroyed, and if they are to survive the end of the world, they're going to need to do something radical.

The rest of the movie is basically a family road trip with action packed adventures, bizarre creatures, male one upmanship and plenty of slapstick, which pleased Rory who likes nothing better than seeing people getting hit in the face with stuff.  The animation is stunning and vividly detailed and the action and story never flagged, keeping us all watching laughing and sniffling (the husband, not me - he's a complete girl about films) all the way to the end.

It definitely took my mind off of the gruesome side effects I was going through for an hour or two, but also, unexpectedly, it spoke to me when I needed it to:

"Never NOT be afraid." Says Grug, in an attempt to save his families lives.
And Eep replies "Dad, this isn't living. This is just not dying."

And that, my friends, is why I'm enduring a week or two of non-stop nausea and dizziness as SSRIs make their merry way around my veins once again.  I want to live, not just not die, and I have to do what I have to do to get there.  Who'd have thought a kids animation could be so profound, hmmm?


The Croods:  Out Monday 9th December on DVD and Blu-ray.  It definitely gets our seal of approval as a Christmas stocking filler.







I was sent a copy of The Croods to review free of charge.  I was not paid for this review.  All opinions are my own.



1 comment:

  1. Well written review!
    We loved the Croods movie as well. It became a favorite movie among my children now.

    ReplyDelete