Thursday, 31 October 2013

Check out my shiny new kettle




The kettle of kings.  A master of its kind.  The sort of kettle that says "I like my boiling water to come stylishly presented.  Now move aside chaps; I've got a teapot to fill". (I really do own a teapot by the way, all you doubters).

You could be forgiven for thinking that I'm perhaps a little over enthusiastic about my new kettle, but it's the happy ending in a story of kitchen implement love and loss, so perfectly understandable.

The truth is, we used to have a good kettle.  It was cream and sleek with vintage styling and was a wedding present along with a lot of other sleek, cream, vintage styled kitchen accessories (including a bread bin, which I like very much but has never held bread in the 6 years we've owned it.  It is currently home to an old copy of Heat magazine, a couple of sticklebricks and a bottle of vodka).  It was most definitely a grown up's kettle: reassuringly expensive and solid.  Trustworthy.  Worked when you plugged it in instead of having to be bashed into action with a wooden spoon like our last one.  Then it went and broke after two years and not even a sound thrashing with a spatula could save it.  My in-laws came to the rescue with their spare kettle - a decrepit looking plastic jug thing that would have been more at home in a student house in 1994.  My in-laws never throw anything away.  Ever.

It was supposed to see us through until we could afford a nice new one, but we ended up using it for 4 years, during which it's been dropped, knocked into a sink full of water and had a load of flying ant carcasses fall into it after a particularly vicious culling session.*  It still works.  It must have cost about a fiver and is 20 years old but it still works.  Where is the justice in that?  Richard decided to channel his parents by refusing to buy a nice new one when the ugly old one still worked perfectly well, even after a few bouts of attempted sabotage.

Finally I was rescued from My Ugly Old Kettle Hell (note to self: flog this story to Take a Break) when I was sent the nice new one pictured at the top of this page to review.  It's this stylish little Russell Hobbs number and is currently £44.99 from a range of kettles at Argos.  There's not an awful lot I can say about it other than it...you know...boils water and stuff.  And it has a limescale filter, so that's nice.  And also a 360 degree swivel base.  I'm not sure what one of those is or why it's good, but it has one, and my left handed husband is impressed by it, so up with 360 degree swivel bases, I say.  It also switches itself off when the kettle is empty, which is a handy feature if you're useless a bit forgetful like me.  It's a bit difficult to see the water level, but in the great scheme of things I'd say that's forgivable, and I haven't had to whack it with a spoon yet, so I'm happy.  It also sets off my cream toaster and vodka filled bread bin a treat, and I'm no longer embarrassed to make people a cuppa in my kitchen.  Who's coming round for tea and cake, then?





*Those of you who've had a cup of tea at my house since the flying ant episode need not fear - the kettle was emptied of ant corpses, bleached, rinsed, boiled, bleached and rinsed again and then boiled again to ensure that it was hygienic.  Sometimes it pays to have OCD.



This product review was brought to you in conjunction with Argos.

1 comment:

  1. This is exactly why you're an awesome writer. You even turn a kettle review into something that makes me giggle so much that I get hiccups.

    ReplyDelete