Wednesday, 11 September 2013

An End To Colds?


Effing colds.  How do they know that September's started?  I never get more than a week into September before I'm wading through a river of snot and coughing my lungs up.  Some might say that this is because I was a teacher/have a young child and all the kids going back to school lets the plague loose after 6 weeks of relative solitary confinement, but I know better: It's the curse of September. How else do you explain my husband going down with a hefty dose of man flu on the first day of the month?

From The first week of September on it's all downhill until April with cold after cold, flu, tummy bugs galore, ear infections and tonsilitis, and that's just me.  Don't get me started on everything that Rory catches and brings home.  Last year I got hold of a book called The Secrets of People Who Never Get Sick and read it cover to cover in the hopes of finally banishing poor health from my household but despite following advice to run every morning, take cold showers and dunk my head in peroxide every morning (only did that once; smelled like public toilets all day), we were still ill for 7 months straight.

This year, I have another secret weapon: Nasalguard Cold & Flu Block.  This is a little tube of non-greasy ointment that you rub around your nostrils and above your top lip a few times a day.  It's supposed to trap, hold and immobilize airbourne viruses, which reduces the likelihood of you getting ill.  I don't know exactly how this works, actual magic I expect.  I'll poke my knowledgeable friend, Science Tim with a virtual internet stick after I publish this post to see if he can explain it in the comments for you all.  It has something called Polyquats in it.  I don't even know what they are, but if they're going to stop me getting ill, I can get on board with it.
The particularly good thing about this product is that it's completely drug free so is suitable for children and pregnant women to use, and anyone who's been pregnant and had a cold or flu at the same time will really appreciate how brilliant this is.

Does it work?  I don't know yet.  I've been using it since the start of September.  So far, my husband has had a horrendous cold and Rory has had the sniffles, and I haven't caught either, but it's early days.  I don't think I've ever got more than a week into September without coming down with something until this year though, so there might be something in it.  Tell you what; I'll report back in a few weeks with a progress report.  If it works and I manage to dodge all cold, I will be overjoyed.  And I will also eat a tiny bit of my hat because I'm a hardened skeptic.  Watch this space...


If you want to join me in Hat Eating Corner, Nasalguard Cold & Flu Block is available from Boots for £11.99 (I know, I know, but if it does actually work, it will be worth every penny): http://www.boots.com/en/NasalGuard-Cold-Flu-Block-Topical-Gel-3g_1320755/

3 comments:

  1. We used to start winter with a hot mixture of honey, lemon, ginger and tincture of Echinacea and goldenseal every evening for a couple of weeks. This seemed to keep all flus major sniffles and most importantly, my recurring chest infections at bay all winter. Last year I couldn't get the tincture because the EU decided it was dangerous after all these centuries of use (or I suspect some pressure from the likes of Bayer and Procter and Gamble) and we had a terrible winter of chest and ear problems, a spring of sore throats and lost voices and now
    autumn's coming again to the tune of sneezing! Echinacea tablets just don't do it on their own!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, found you via a journey around Slimming world blogs, as I am going it alone on that programme, and needing inspiration. On the colds front, a friend told me that she always used the steam room at our gym, and hadn't had many colds since, also seems to help with hayfever. I don't know whether it is the steam or just all the showers getting rid of stuff on the skin. I've also not had a cold since joining, and I work in schools with teenagers. I do take fizzy vitamin C and zinc, but a bit randomly, as in, when they are on special offer, and I then remember I have them. Hope your stuff works, have seen similar ideas for hayfever, and can see it trapping pollen in my head a bit better. Cheers, M.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry I'm late - I was busy drinking cocktails and gadding about. Short answer is that I'll be joining you in Hat Eating Corner if this works. It's all well and good to have a "positively charged gel", but as Rhinovirus is not a charged particle it won't stop the cause of the common cold. Or the influenza virus, which is also inert. There are also inherent issues with storing a "positively charged gel" as it will strip electrons off anything it can to restore its polarity. If they've made a magical inert liner to the tube (other than making it out of Gold) then great - it'll stay positively charged until it hits your skin, where it will rip electrons out until it's happy. Taking electrons out of your skin creates something called "free radicals". You may have heard of them. They're not great for you. They also seem unwilling to publish their "clinical evidence" that it works. Never a good sign......

    Science Tim

    ReplyDelete