Monday, 22 July 2013

The Ultimate (Disgraceful) Summer Driving Playlist

Moneysupermarket want to know about our ultimate summer driving playlist for this competion here :http://www.moneysupermarket.com/car-insurance/competitions/ultimate-summer-driving-playlist/   Now, I can't drive yet, but that doesn't mean that I don't have opinions on this subject.    A playlist is an important thing to have in place when you're attempting a journey of anything over an hour long with a resident child bleating about being bored in the back seat.

The first thing to remember is to turn the music up as loud as it will go.  This serves two purposes:

1. Drowns out the noise of bleating child.
2. Ensures it can be heard over the racket having the windows wound all the way down makes (because the air conditioning doesn't work).

Next, we need to think about content.  A summer driving playlist is no place for music snobbery, especially when you have a child.  What you need is a set of tracks that conjures up memories of similar journeys from bygone days and sets the soundtrack for more to be made.  I have to explain this to Richard every year because he starts fretting that Rory will never grow to appreciate the work of Johnny Cash if he doesn't have constant exposure to it.  Miserable husband.  What we really need is...

1. Anything by the Beach Boys.  Seriously.  Anything.    Apart from Kokomo, maybe.  And Help Me Rhonda.  Help Me Rhonda is a sore point.  It reminds me that I am merely my husband's rebound fling, despite having been married to him for 6 years (haha, poor effort Richard).

2. Telegraph Road - Dire Straits.  Nothing brings back memories of feeling travel sick in my childhood like a bit of Dire Straits.  Telegraph Road is the chosen track purely because it reminds me of my dad and I doing epic performances of it down various motorways in the 80s.

3. Strawberry Fire - Apples in Stereo. OK, I said no personal taste required for this playlist, but you can't have a summer playlist without the Apples on it, and it sounds so familiar even if you don't know it that I reckon I can get away with slipping one in.

4. In the Summertime - Mungo Jerry.  Back on track with the irritating generic summer songs now.  Reminds me of lots of beaches on our honeymoon.  And every summer ever.

5. Gold Lion - Yeah Yeah Yeahs.  Driving about with Richard in his ill-fated Polo during the summer I met him.

6. Love in an Elevator - Aerosmith.  This is the song that officially declares the transition from 'being out for a quick drink after work' to 'BEING ON ONE.'    It works at any time of year, but particularly summer.

7. Summer Night City - Abba.  Another carsick holiday tune from my youth.  Worryingly sexy, considering it's performed by Abba.  Also profound.  It's a dream, it's out of reach. Scattered driftwood on the beach. YES. *air punch*

8. Spiderman.  We have no choice over this one.  If we don't play the Spiderman theme tune in the car at some point on a journey, Rory will sing it repeatedly, and increasing in pitch and volume until we want to cut our ears off.  He only knows the bit that goes "Spiderman, Spiderman, spins a web like a spider can", and he makes up the rest of it.  The thought of it is actually making me twitch right now.

What's on your summer driving playlist?  Tell me here or join in and write your own blog post for Money Supermarket.

No comments:

Post a Comment