Monday, 22 July 2013

Personalised Wall Art by Vertbaudet (for free!)

I was contacted by Vertbaudet recently to ask if I'd be interested in promoting a new feature on their site.

They've created a personalised poster thingy (here: http://www.vertbaudet.co.uk/page/personalised-posters.htm), where they provide various designs that would fit well with the decor in a child's room, and you add some text to add a personal touch.

There are five designs to choose from: Butterflies, a jungle theme, a blossom tree, cars and tractors and the Eiffel Tower.  I picked the vehicle themed one (Rory being worryingly obsessed with all things car related), and as it was his birthday recently, I added some appropriate text.

Here's how it turned out:


At this point, you can print your poster put on any sort of paper you like - bargain.  However, for the purposes of the review, they sent me a large A3 version of it and asked me to style it up any way I liked.

Rory's room was in need of a bit of TLC anyway.  When we were first thinking about moving him into the big spare room, I have plans to do it up in a kind of log cabin theme complete with wooden flooring, wood panels on the walls and a classic red, white and blue colour scheme. HAHAHAHAHAHAHA is all I can say to that.

What actually happened was that two days before Christmas, we thought "SOD IT" and moved him straight in, crappy carpet and all.  It soon became apparent that any sort of colour scheme was going to be pushing it somewhat, so instead, I've worked with what we already had (ALL of the colours, a lot of homemade stuff and a 30 year old rickety wardrobe that was originally bought for my brother's room when he was a baby).  To be fair, Rory loves his bedroom, and after putting up a feature picture wall over the weekend, so do I now.

Here's how it looks now. (look out for the Vertbaudet poster):


We already had the Superman canvas, and the other pieces are either art that we bought for his nursery when I was pregnant or bits of fabric, family photos and birthday cards that I framed.  To keep costs down, I bought a load of old frames from a charity shop and a few tester pots of paint in colours we liked, painted the frames up with Rory's help and framed everything.  Total cost: a tenner.

This got me thinking that for those times when you've run out of money a week before pay day (this is always us) and there's a small child's birthday/Christening/whatever looming, you could print out a Vertbaudet poster and use this technique to frame it: a personalised gift for about £2.00.  It's the thought that counts and so forth.

Here's some more of Rory's bedroom, just because:


Clockwise from top left: Chair rescued from my in-laws house when they were about to throw it out, cushions made by me, Les the Meerkat and Superhero Daddy (knitted by Granny), Close-up of photo wall.  Tell me you love the Ladybird book art as much as I do? I would happily wallpaper my entire house in it, Stuff on the bookshelf including the big letter R that we made a couple of years ago, Lego on a biblical scale.

And just so that you don't think I've gone all 'home style blogger' on you, here's the horrid, cheap carpet, and the bit where I dropped the iron on it whilst ironing and it melted.  Look, just be impressed that I was actually doing some ironing and not dangling upside-down from the sofa, watching 60 Minute Makeover and eating Wotsits as usual, OK.  Now, lets never speak of this again.












11 comments:

  1. This is glorious - it looks utterly wonderful, great job! Following your blog now, too. Love the iron burn - I think we're the same person.

    (Mommatwo!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oooh, I suspect we might be. Top tip: To avoid iron on carpet burns, simply never iron.

      Delete
  2. I never iron as I burn myself and not carpet!

    BNM

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think I've ever done that. I just destroy everything around me instead.

      Delete
  3. Love the posters - did one for each of my kids, printed them out, bunged them in a couple of old frames and hung them up. Boy then had a strop cos he didn't want animals, he wanted butterflies, so now he has his sister's poster...

    Also love Rory's room - it looks brilliant, burn mark on carpet irrelevant.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Loving that he wanted the butterflies :-)

      Delete
  4. I have NEVER dropped an iron on a nylon carpet in a rented flat, melted an iron shape into it, and then had to sit really awkwardly with my feet positioned over the melty bit when the landlord popped round unexpectedly, no, not me.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I had that carpet in my sons room. It was killed by a litre of emulsion. The son in question was sent to grandma's for the weekend until I calmed down. As you do.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is exactly the sort of thing that happens to us.

      Delete
  6. Can you tell me the exact price of your
    Personalize wall art.This is a great inexpensive idea. I need to do more things like this!Thanks for your post.

    ReplyDelete