Saturday, 11 May 2013

Walkers Hoops and Crosses Review

It turns out that nothing scuppers your diet like Walkers sending you crisps to review.

This caused something of a stampede in the Disgrace household as everyone shouted "OPEN THE CRISPS" within 3 seconds of their arrival.  This tells you a lot about my family.

Here is a not-at-all-posed picture of some happy boys eating said crisps.  The photo also features the long suffering cover from the brown sofa lying folornly in the background, waiting to be put back in place after being washed for the millionth time due to a puking child incident a couple of days before.  Here is a good point to mention that the crisps arrived in the middle of Rory's week long stomach bug; during the 2 day window when he wasn't vomiting and we thought he was better, in fact.  Shortly before he started throwing up again.  I'm sure you can imagine how riotously happy I was when I got to see these crisps a second time around.  This is the sort of thing that happens to us.


On with the review.

They're called Hoops & Crosses and are a sort of corn snack thing in the style of Monster Munch, but in the shape of hoops and crosses so you can play noughts and crosses with them.  I'm not sure why this is a selling point as the last things I want my (ALWAYS CHUFFING ILL) son to do is start putting his food all over germy surfaces before eating it.

They come in three flavours - beef, salt and vinegar and prawn cocktail, and a quick taste test confirms that the ones we had (beef) tasted exactly like Monster Munch.  This is A Good Thing.

Their main selling point is that they contain 56% wholegrain, whereas other types of snacks along these lines don't contain any.  They also contain no artificial colours or preservatives and 30% less fat than similar snacks.  They're basically marketed to parents as a healthier choice of snack for children.

I'm not sure what I think about this.  If you put them side by side with Monster Munch or similar, then yes, they are a healthier choice.  I'd rather give my son snacks like these that contain wholegrain than ones that contain none at all.  But a quick read of the ingredients list still reveals sugar, salt and lactose powder, so they're hardly a 'healthy choice'.  But then - we're not all Gwyneth Paltrow feeding our children macrobiotic diets (thank the lord), and I think crisps and snacks like these are perfectly fine as long as they don't eat them every day.  I think a bit of common sense is a good thing here: I'd rather Rory ate these than something similar minus the wholegrain content and plus MSG and artifical colours, but I'm under no illusions that these are a health food or even a particularly healthy food.  They're a less-bad-than-normal treat, and that's fine with me.

I'll sum up by saying that we all loved the taste, especially my junk food loving husband, who'd exist on multipacks of Space Raiders if I let him.  Rory says he'd like some Hoops & Crosses for his birthday tea, which is high praise indeed, and I've decided that at 85 calories per pack, they're something that I can eat if I'm craving crisps without too much guilt.  I still refuse to believe that they're 'healthy' though.




This is a sponsored post.  All opinions are my own.


1 comment:

  1. Ethan thought he was in heaven getting these! I still only buy goodies corn snack things for him!! :)

    ReplyDelete