Tuesday, 22 January 2013

Hotter Boots Review (from pubic wigs to comfortable shoes in one easy blog post).

I have a theory as to why I look so disheveled all the time.  It has nothing to do with my lazy grooming habits.  No.  Definitely not.  It's all because I don't own a car.  Think about it:  If you have a car, you step out of your house looking perfect every morning, get straight into your car, drive, and arrive at your destination looking just as you did when you stepped out of your front door.

If you don't have a car, you leave your house looking perfect and are instantly subject to whatever the weather has decided to throw at you that day.  My personal favourite is that sort of drizzly, grey rain that Cheshire seems to specialize in - the sort that turns your hair from salon straight to ratty old merkin within 30 seconds.

Having to walk everywhere also wrecks your feet and your shoes.  I wear through a pair of boots in less than a season, however expensive they are, because I walk miles every day.  They get scuffed and muddy the first time I wear them - also due to that walking malarky.  And my feet...well, 'ouch' is all I can say about that.  Whether I'm wearing trainers, heels or my trusty old wellies, my feet are agony after a day of trailing around everywhere I need to go.

Fortunately for me, some very nice people at Hotter Shoes took pity on me and sent me a pair of their boots to test.  They are all about making shoes comfortable; not something that sounds particularly sexy and exciting, but very useful indeed.

I expected to find it difficult to choose a pair that I liked - mainly because the words 'comfortable shoes' conjure up images of the horrid brown sandals my mum used to make me wear when I was 5.  However, I was pleasantly surprised to find many pairs of boots that looked nothing like the orthopedic horrors of my nightmares.

I chose this style - Jade - in the winter taupe colourway (now out of stock, but there are four other colours to choose from):


They go perfectly with my mummy uniform of skinny jeans and have been tested thoroughly over the past month or so.  So far, they have pounded pavements (I estimate at least 100 miles worth), negotiated canal tow paths, woodland, cobbles, muddy puddles, dirt tracks and shopping centre floors (those really slippy ones).  They have also sprinted after my kamikaze child on his new bike as he freewheeled down a particularly steep hill shrieking "I'M GOING TO DIIIIIIIIE."  Even more importantly, I have been wearing them on the school run during the recent snowpocalypse, and I haven't fallen on my arse once.  You have to know me well to appreciate how miraculous this is, but believe me, it's nothing short of amazing.

photo by Ian Clark

I love them, and my feet haven't hurt at all in the entire time I've been using them.  They actually feel like they cushion your feet, and I can walk 6 miles in them and get home feeling like I've just popped down to the local shop.  If you are a no-car-walking-everywhere-parent like me, you really do need some Hotter boots - have a look at their sale now.

Sadly, my hair still looks like a moth eaten brillo pad after I've walked into town and back.  Now...who wants to get me to test one of those keratin blowdry jobbies?









I was sent a pair of Hotter boots to test in exchange for a review.  All opinions are my own and I did not receive payment.





5 comments:

  1. Lise.. My chiropodist and Hotter wearing Mum would be proud ;-D Joking aside, they look fab, look great on in your pic and I can well believe how comfy they are! Like you, I walk everywhere and also get through a pair of boots in a season. So.. maybe I'll take a look! xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. These aren't a brand I've heard of before, but I've had a look at the site and agree that they are not the image I thought of when I think of 'comfortable' shoes.

    However, my twenty three year old daughter might disagree - she called her dad's DMs 'orthopedic'!

    ReplyDelete
  3. BTW...I don't think that's how to spell orthopedic but I have been too lazy to check!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't have a car either and I feel your pain (especially the hair bit). I love not owning a car, but you do have to own comfy shoes - and a big hood

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for this. I have bought shoes from them in the past but not boots. I am all for comfort!

    ReplyDelete